The focus of our outreach programs is ministering to the human needs of our congregation, the community around us, and the world. An offering is collected on the fourth Sunday of each month, designated as “Social Concerns Sunday.” On this day, we come together to raise awareness for those in need.
Our community outreach programs include:
- Red Wagon – Non-perishable food is collected for the local food bank at Interfaith Community Services (ICS). Donate canned foods (fruit, jelly, tuna, pasta sauce, canned meat, cereal, jell-o, diapers, formula, etc) Hygiene items are also needed. The wagon is in the narthex.
- Lutheran Thrift Store – Beautiful Savior is a collection site for used items in good condition. The thrift store needs gently used furniture, kitchen items, miscellaneous household goods and clean clothing, especially children's. Tax receipts are available.
Collection dates will be from 8:30 a.m. to noon on the Wednesday & Thursday prior to the 4th Sunday of each month. Also, volunteers to work in the store are always welcome.The Lutheran Thrift Store is located at 5665 East Speedway (near Gospel Supply). Hours are Monday - Saturday 9AM - 4PM. 320-7892
- TIHAN – Tucson Interfaith HIV/AIDS network: We collected personal hygiene items, such as: Disposable Razors, Toilet Paper, Skin Lotion, Bar and Bath Soap, Toothpaste, Tooth Brushes, Shaving Cream, Dish Detergent, and Ensure. These items are available at TIHAN’s monthly Poz Café.
- Interfaith Community Services (ICS) – We partner with ICS, who since 1985, has shown what a caring community can do. ICS makes the words "faith in action" a reality. With a network of 53 member faith communities and more than 600 volunteers, ICS often "fills the gaps" for services in Pima County. BSLC supports their food bank and their GIFTS of LOVE programs which provide holiday food bags and school supplies each year to the families they serve.
- Project Hospitality—As part of the Salvation Army’s OPERATION DEEP FREEZE, we host eight homeless men during the winter months.
- Lutheran Disaster Relief – World and domestic assistance on an as-needed basis.
- ELCA World Hunger appeal – World and domestic assistance on an as-needed basis.
- Habitat for Humanity
- Manna Bags—Gallon sized bags filled with non-perishable, protein-loaded items that are prepared and handed out to be delivered with hungry people on the streets. This ministry is spearheaded by the Friendship Team. Items for bags are collected in the narthex, once filled can be picked up by anyone who has the desire to pass them along.